(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 10:13:57 PDT 2010

James your previous post left me despairing that we could ever communicate
our ideas clearly to each other. This part was especially confusing:

James Wynn:
>If the power to move into the Corridors of Time  is the same as escaping
>a universe, one would have to conclude --by your model-- that those
>weird corridors are just a mundane location in early Yesod. But then why
>should not everyone in Briah be able to easily move through Time in
>Yesod and Abbadon as well? Additionally, Yesod would be useless for
>traveling in Time within Yesod.

But your next post gave me hope.

>James Wynn: Lee, Does this explanation posit a meta-universe called, say, "Madregot"?

Yes! It seems so clear to me that perhaps I didn't explain it well. To me,
Brook Madregot is the "meta-universe"; the place outside the universes of Briah
and Yesod which allows time travel between them and, with baby steps, time travel
within Briah, as Severian does.

I don't have my books with me now so I can't check if Brook Madregot is a straight
line, implying sequence between Yesod and Briah, or has Kabbalic branchings and
tributaries between static, co-existing universes.

I have a vague memory of some branching mentioned, but maybe they referred to
alternate, even erased timelines, like Master Ash's. I remember the timeline path
that Severian strides as being singular, without forks, branchings or other choices
to make. I'll have to check the text when I get home.