(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 10:14:34 PDT 2010

Roy, I think your evidence supports the given theory as much as it detracts from it.

(1) Severian is the Conciliator. Tzadkiel may simply be trying to be tactful.

(2) In Yesod, Briah has indeed vanished. All of human history is in the past. Yes, Yesod is "above" Briah, but what does that mean exactly?

(3) The reference to another Conciliator and Sun may mean the Catholic one, in which case Tzadkiel is in our own future. Or it may refer to Severian under a different name at a different time. We certainly don't need to debate that point...

(4) The word "human" and its cognates could refer to the same species at different points---millions of years apart. It doesn't require an entirely different race and universe.

(5) The purpose of the "endless succession" is for the Hierogrammates to create their creators. This is illogical and pointless only within a single universe from a temporal persepctive. The Hieros'perspective is what we might call a mythcal one: their narrative is (a) myth. In a universe-explaining myth, this kind of illogical circularity is exactly what is needed.