(urth) Boatman as Inire

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat Aug 7 22:14:06 PDT 2010

Lee Berman wrote:
[snip]
> I think the big picture might be more achievable than spending a lifetime
trying for a
> perfect fit of the small bits. So, absolutely, I do feel that once you've
assembled the
> small bits of BotNS into a rough outline, then the big picture becomes the
dominant puzzle
> solving strategy to which the remaining loose, small bits become
subordinate.

At least you didn't deny it, which I suppose counts for something. But I
seem to be talking right past you; either that or you are trying to enjoy a
cabrito dinner at my expense.

[snip]
> Paradise Lost and Lucifer? Lordy, where does that come from? Not me,
anyway. Aside from
> Arioch I think the most likely fallen angel alluded is Azazel who, along
with his peacock
> wings and other fallen angel stuff, was highly into getting human women to
do
> beautification techniques. I love seeing the possibility that whole
khaibit/Jolenta/Thecla's
> belladonna eyes/Merryn's facelift aspect of the BotNS is grounded in our
earthly mythology.

Which fallen angel you want to pick is secondary to the notion of fallen
angels = fallen Hierogrammates. The only angelic being in the Urth Cycle
with wings anything like a peacock's is Tzadkiel, and it was Tzadkiel who
presided at the "trial" of the Epitome and set in motion the sequence of
events that led to the destruction of Urth and its rebirth as Ushas, said
destruction to be offered up to the Increate -- so said Tzadkiel. You seem
to regard this destruction and rebirth as a good thing, leading to the Green
Man future. Fine. But that was Tzadkiel, not Inire.

I have already given my summary of your Grand Unified Theory. Aside from the
details, what really gets my goat about it is that it is a logical dead end.
Just suppose you are right, that alien Inire (for whatever reasons) was a
fallen Hierogrammate who coupled with human women and this unholy union was
a Bad Thing. Enter Severian, Epitome of Urth, Willing Savior or Grand Dupe.
He goes to Yesod to win a new sun which is also the New Sun which is also
Himself. He succeeds, wins a new sun and Ushas is born. Exactly how did he
do it? *He screwed an alien.* Hallelujah! Let's sing another verse.

-Roy