(urth) Ted = Goldwurm?

Mr Thalassocrat thalassocrat08 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:56:20 PDT 2010

Griffins were supposed to guard gold. Not exactly dragons, but as Jake
Jacobson says (p214), "Sort of like a dragon".

Not wedded to the idea, but I like it more than Ted = Ambrosius.

It might explain why Ieulan run's away from Ted's ghost, if that's what it
was (Emlyn at any rate seems to be afraid of Goldwurm, and wouldn't
necessarily know that he's been dead for a couple of years).

Ted's ring might be Goldwurm's weapon of power. Doris gives it to Bax just
after commenting on Bax's/Ambrosius' ring. Her explanation of why she does
this makes zero sense to me. Perhaps she did it because she's planning on
inducing Bax to give her the other one - as a wedding ring? Maybe Ted's
spirit is guiding her in this, somehow - he sees Bax's ring & recognises it
as Ambrosius' weapon of power.

Maybe that's why Ted's ghost wants her to be with Bax, and why it tries to
protect Bax (it doesn't want anybody else to get the ring).

Ted's ghost is actually pretty ineffectual - but maybe that could be
expected of the ghost of a presumably relatively junior warlock who never
found his master's ring. (He's not good with werewolfs - Lupine dismisses
him with a word, and he doesn't turn up to help out during the werewolf
attack on Bax and Doris, despite Doris wishing he was there.)