(urth) TSH: Ted's identity

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Apr 25 12:03:55 PDT 2010

Gwern Branwen quoted and wrote:
> > Ummm. This makes it clear that Emlyn does _NOT_ know what happened;
> > for he begins by saying "I imagine..."
>
> I read that as the imagine is about Emlyn's speculation about
> Goldwurm's thoughts and reasons for not keeping Ambrosius around to
> question. I don't read it as Emlyn imagining the entire scenario, and
> only actually knowing 'Goldwurm was killed by someone who may've been
> named Ambrosius.' I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Quite so. In addition, Emlyn is, in effect, the only source of information
we have concerning Ambrosius and Goldwurm, so we are stuck with his
testimony.

Let's cut to the chase: Emlyn is supposed to be a boy from Faerie, as are
the two sorcerers. If none of the faerie and/or supernatural stuff is real,
then nothing about these characters matters. Speculations regarding ghostly
Ted's identity and whether or not he was also Ambrosius and what the wet
thing he left behind may have been are fools' exercises. There can be no
magic rings, werewolves, a talking vixen, a sorcerer's tower in faerie, a
house that expands and has windows onto faerie, or eerie forests far larger
than any map shows them to be.

-Roy