(urth) Kiki

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:30:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Adam Thornton <adam at io.com> wrote:
> Fred Kiesche wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we need to search the text for Sluggy Freelance references! ;)
>>

> Uh, guys?
>
> Maybe there *is* a Geek Comic reference going on.
>
> Does no one else remember Ted Griffin?
>
> Dilbert from, oh, 1995 or so: Dilbert needs approval for some sort of
> purchase.  His boss says "You need to get Griffin's signature."  Dilbert
> asks, "You mean Ted Griffin in finance or Griffin-the-mythological-beast?"
>  Pointy-haired boss answers "Whichever is harder."

Or it could be a reference to Ted Griffin, who wrote the screenplay
for Matchstick Men. ;)

In all seriousness, it seems to me that Ted is short for Theodore.
Some website I found on Google says that comes from the words "Divine
Gift" in Greek. And according to Wikipedia, Amborsius is Latin derived
from the Greek word "ambrotos" meaning divine or immortal. That links
those two quite nicely for me and explains the name. Google isn't
shedding any light on Griffin. Don't mythological griffins guard gold?
Isn't Ted's ring gold?

Anyway, I apologize if this sounds flippant. It just seems as though
tossing out names from pop culture isn't very useful. I personally
prefer trying to understand the etymology of the name, a habit this
list actually got me hooked on. That said, Kiki from _Delivery
Service_ is at least slightly more believable to me because she *is* a
witch.

> Adam

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net