(urth) TSH: Ted's identity

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Apr 20 11:31:15 PDT 2010

Craig Brewer wrote:
[snip]
> Also, was Griffin his name or Doris' maiden name? I don't recall her ever
saying either way. Could the "G" in TAG also stand for Goldwurm? After all,
isn't a golden worm wind itself into a circle/ring, like the one Doris gives
Bax?<

The list of characters at the end gives his name as Ted Griffin.

> And, not to push too far, but could Ted have been Mr. Black as well? Doris
never saw Skotos/Mr. Black, and she says that Bax reminds him of her. And
her description fits with what we know of Mr. Black: "He was taller and
quite a bit heavier. Your hair's sort of yellow-brown, and his was almost
black." (39) <

Nope. Doris said that Ted was taller and heavier than Bax (39). Bax also
described the apparition of Ted he saw in the Skotos woods as a "big,
heavyset man" (129). Biddy described Black as "small, not a whole lot taller
than I am" (207).  Jake said Skotos (aka Black) was "three or four inches
shorter" than Bax and agreed with Bax that he had been "a brisk, energetic
little man" (217).

[snip]
>Ted died two years before all of this, and I can't find the part where it
says how long ago Skotos or Mr. Black died.<

Skotos "died" three years ago (216).

-Roy