(urth) AEG in NYRSF

Stephen Hoy stephenhoy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 22:39:31 PDT 2009

A few days ago, John Watkins, agreeing with James Wyatt about a quality of the president in AEG, wrote:
< I thought the character's speech patterns were recognizably those of George W. Bush as well. >

The speech pattern is recognizably Texan, but the one-on-one button-holing is much more LBJ's style than any recent US president. For me, the key discriminant is the President's assistant.  I think I mentioned awhile ago that the aide likely has a link with MPAA president Jack Valenti who was LBJ's closest aide. Valenti passed away in 2007, possibly stimulating Wolfe to place an analog of LBJ/Valenti in AEG.  Valenti's showbiz connection fits nicely with an idols of the theater allusion in the same chapter of AEG, when the president quotes the first line of Bacon's essay On Truth.