(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:47:11 PDT 2009

Zac,

Welcome aboard.

I had no idea that this was an undergrad thesis - I've barely even heard of
those. To me, the word "thesis" conveys images of Ph.D.

I'm also sorry I was so harsh, but truly, I can't think of a single
significant SF text that _does_ fit the description you give. The closest
thing I can think of is the Curate in H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds,"
which is proto-SF in the meaning of the act. (SF proper really begins with
Hugo Gernsback's identifying it as a genre, giving it a name, and providing
it with a home, first in _The Electrical Expermenter_ and then in _Amazing
Stories_.)

There are plenty of SF writers who are blatantly hostile to religion, but
they don't seem to use priests as characters all that much.

I'd be interested in examples of what you're describing.

--Dan'l

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes