(urth) Wolfe at Dragon*Con (AEG)

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Mon Sep 14 16:50:58 PDT 2009

> And, since there seems to be some confusion, in Wolfe's book it is
> "Woldercan", not "Woldercon".

Yes, I often make that slip, too. When I first read "Woldercan", the image
of a spacestation "tin can" sprung to mind. But then I started reading
"Woldercon", imagining a Wolfe-themed convention. Some of the descriptions
in the book (fierce beasts, deep forests?) led me to wonder if "wolder"
means "wild". But then the most obvious connotation would have to be the
"Circus of Dr. Lao" reference people have pointed out. Still gotta read
that.

To snip a perhaps apropos phrase from Dr. Lao's Wikipedia summary,"..the
mythical city of 'Woldercan', populated by doubles of the townfolk..."