(urth) Wolfe at Dragon*Con (AEG)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:40:20 PDT 2009

> Here's some AEG grist for the mill. Wolfe talked about how much he enjoyed
> Cassie in "An Evil Guest". This is how he described the end of the novel:
> "Cassie loved Bill Riese and at the end of the novel she goes to Woldercon
> to look for him."

Look, maybe this has already been said, but don't recall it. I thought I'd
surely get a reaction on this quote so I'm going up the ante. For reasons,
that would be compelling only to me, the death of Bill Reise at the end of
AEG really sat wrong with me. It struck me as totally random. But if the
person killed on the island were Gideon Chase in disguise, it makes
perfectly good sense. Also, Bill Reise avowing his love for Cassie at his
death seemed so out-of-character.

So when Wolfe said this in the panel on Fictional Characters, a series of
tumblers fell into place in my head. It was Bill Reise disguised as Gideon
Chase who left for Woldercon at the end of AEG. Cassie didn't go to
Woldercon merely to get her mojo back (although she would probably need to
in order to win Reise).

I'm not prepared to prove it is so, but I really *really* makes sense that
it would be that way.

J.