(urth) Wolfe at Dragon*Con (This has to do with Politics)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:59:59 PDT 2009

I just remembered this.

Somehow a questioner addressed Wolfe's politics.
This is what he said:

"The form of government I favor is Democracy, which means "Rule by the
People".
America does not have a democracy. It has a Republic. That means that every
so often we elect people to rule over us. And once we have, you can believe
they *know* it.
We are endanger, I think, of becoming eventually ruled by the Supreme Court
which would be the worst of all governments. That is essentially the sort of
government the Spartans had. They elected Ephors to rule over them. "Ephor"
means judges. The Spartans made the Nazis look like boy scouts."

<Then he described the yearly declaration of war against the Helots declared
by the ephors. And described the plot against the Helots that helped in the
war against Persia. (See Herodutos' "History" and Wolfe's "Soldier of
Arete".)  He also went into the fact that Spartan women were freer than
those of any other Greeks and explained why.>