(urth) AEG: Rian's mother

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:53:34 PDT 2009

>> Everything happens just as it happened in the book. Cassie changed
>> nothing
>> by going into the past. She went to Woldercan and found her lost love
>> again,
>> if only for a while. She gained a child who is a little bit of the man
>> she
>> loved.
>>
> I agree this is as plausible as the Pavlatos case. I'm still troubled that
> Sharon Bench knows both Rian and his mother fairly well. (She knows that
> Rian is "too brave" for example, and charges Cassie to protect their
> privacy (pp. 25-26). If Cassie/Rian's Mama is keeping in the background,
> why reconnect with anyone who knew her in the past? It seems like a risky
> thing to do.

Furthermore, if Sharon Bench knows Ms Pavlatos, is it believable she would
not say "Hey! Cassie looks almost just like Pavlatos"? I mean, Ms Pavlatos
cannot be Cassie at more than 20 years in the future. This makes her 55 at
the extreme.

I really don't consider this a big deal on it's own, to tell the truth. I
mean, it is clear to me that Wolfe did something very similar in "The Book
of the Long Sun" (with a slightly greater age differential).  But it is one
more hard pull at a hypothesis that is already dangerously stretched.

Just sayin'
J.