(urth) The Guild's Revolutionary

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Nov 24 11:06:57 PST 2009

Adam Thornton wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:56 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>
>> Adam Thornton wrote:
>>> Potato/dried tuber.
>>> Adam
>> Goodness, is it my turn in the barrel again already?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by that answer, could you please explain ti at greater length, Adam?
>
> Oh, all right, if you insist.
>
> I started from "potato/po-tah-toe", which is to say, one man's pun is another's Dantean contrapasso.

Oh, that I agree with. "The Revolutionary" is a pun on the part of
whoever on Urth gave it that name, while at the functional level it is a
contrapasso. The author chooses both, but the device of putting the pun
in the chracters' mouths leaves the work with more dignity than if it
were a third person narrator cracking wise.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >