(urth) Gene Wolfe Fans Talk Politics (Again)

Jeffrey Brent McBeth mcbeth at broggs.org
Fri May 22 04:49:46 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 06:13:28PM -0400, Steven wrote:

> On May 20, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
>
>> Perhaps things have changed a little since you were last active, here
>> is more or less how things are now within the Mormon church.
>
> Well, you got me.  I remember the separate fast tithing now that you
> bring it up.  It must amount to a small percentage of overall tithes.
> And sorry for smearing the good Mormon folk with that shame stuff - that
> was my perception at the time but it may have been skewed by youth or by
> the congregation I found myself reared in.  Sorry.

Didn't feel smeared at all.  There are bad eggs here, just like
everywhere else.  There are lots and lots that are well meaning but
horrible with the implementation (we're all amateurs).  It should also
come as no surprise to anybody that has read any Douglas Hofstadter or
Isaac Asimov (or has attended churches) that each congregation has its
own personality that is more than the sum of its congregants.

I really wanted to pull things back to Gene Wolfe with that last
sentence, but his books seem to me to concentrate so much on the
individual, that group psychology and dynamics don't come into relief
as much as with other authors.

Jeff

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."
 -- Mark Twain