(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 57, Issue 31

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Tue May 19 17:08:19 PDT 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 6:43 PM, James Wynn wrote:

> But, you don't need to pass laws to pay more taxes. Just figure a
> what percentage of your income you are paying now and add 10%. I've
> never known a government to turn down money.

Oh, actually, the IRS will refund you money if they audit you and they
think you overpaid.

I've only ever had it in the context of an audit where I *did* owe
them money, but while they were pointing out that I didn't pay
sufficient taxes over on Subpart A, they found out that I overpaid on
Subpart B and gave me that amount back.  And, to be fair, they were
right about Subpart A.

Of course, the fact that someone who is highly numerate and well-
educated is routinely reduced to a gibbering wreck by tax forms, and
can't get them right, is evidence that something is rotten in the
state of Tax Codes.  There's no good reason for it to be that difficult.

Adam