(urth) There Are Doors

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu May 21 14:35:47 PDT 2009

James Wynn wrote:

>>> By the same token, men in our world wear black at their weddings.
>>> There's no "reason" for it.  They wear black here, because they wear
>>> black there. They wear black there for a rational reason: The man is
>>> about to die.
>>
>> But there is *also* a vector of frequent physical travel that the
>> author tales pains to display, so that resonance explanation need not
>> be valid. It may just be another of Green's notions.
>> As for it being the only story with such a justification, I can think
>> of at least three others: Lawrence Watt-Evans' _Out of This World_ and
>> Christopher Stasheff's Greymarye series...John M. Ford's _Fugue State_
>
> Okay. Then it is the only one I had read and one of the few. It also
> predates two of the three you named. Ford's paradigm (he was also
> published by Tor, I see) seems like such an obvious extrapolation on TAD
> (I thought the same thing when reading it) that I wonder if he was
> inspired by it.

In fact, I first read _Fugue State_ and _The Death of Doctor Island_ the
same day because they were published as an Ace Double. :)

I doubt JMF took more from TAD than from Moorcock's Eternal Champion or
a dozen other sources of heroic striving across the boundaries of
continuity, intentional or otherwise.

> Physical travel is not rare, but there is little sign that it is common
> or long term.  It's not the same as two adjacent neighborhoods.

I think it may be exactly that! The Chinese man's shop in the Goddess'
world has shelves of chattels from Green's world, and there's the
intricate arrangement of utility wires strung through both
neighborhoods, making dozens of possible doorways for people to weave
through. Also, the asylum seems to house people over the long term, and
enough of them are from Green's world that the handy man is so very
tired of explaining why they can't have a color TV. And wozzname, the
Nixonian guy who does the subversive plays, he seems to have been
transplanted for good.

> I think
> Green's explanation is the most likely. I'm sure his psychiatrist would
> not find the other explanation particularly enticing.

I think the resonance theory as Green conceives it is incomplete. There
should be evidence of many worlds' influence on his, as well as ours on
theirs, as there should have been at the very least several pagan
powers, even if they have been subsumed by Laura or the Elohim by now.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >