(urth) Fw: Re: (no subject)

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed May 20 14:44:13 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Stuart Hamm wrote:

> No one's gonna back me?? Don't we all rush out and buy a first
> edition of GW's new books instead of downloading an illegal copy???

Yeah.

My own position is that downloading media illegally is some-kind-of-
bad (me, I still prefer to buy physical CDs and then rip them to
iTunes, so that I have unprotected files which I can then copy to
whatever music player I may have in the future that might not be an
iPod), but it's not exactly *theft*.  Copyright infringement is not,
in my mind, the same crime as, say, stealing your TV.

I do not, however, think there's a one-to-one correspondence between
lost sales and illegal downloads.  That is, plenty of people download
things that they're idly curious about, but nowhere near enough
interested in to buy.  Now, one can, quite correctly, make the point
that they SHOULDN'T OUGHTA BE USING IT then.  Fair enough.

But mainly I was just bringing it up as a counterpoint to Brunians'
absolutist Property Rights statement, by pointing out that there are
some things which some people consider legitimate property rights, and
others do not.

Adam