(urth) Blood Pudding (was Neighbors as Faeries)

Brian Lovely brian at studiobl.com
Fri Mar 20 11:36:39 PDT 2009

Remember that hybrids are a big part of the story.  That long bit with
Silk/Horn, the farmer, and how to cross corn wasn't there for nothing.
Plus, in the books, transferring blood transfers more than...well, blood.
The blood confers some of the donor's being, creating a kind of hybrid.

Also, the neighbors resemble and/or are heavily associated with trees.  When
Krait is dying on Green, the trees are described in very human terms.  The
tree in the pit with Horn was a Neighbor who ate Horn, or consumed his
corpse, or somehow otherwise hybridized with him.

-Brian Lovely

Jordon Flato wrote:

I would agree that chasing the stag, falling in the Pit (which was in the
midst of a classic faerie circle of the ruins) represented a crossing over
of sorts, but I don't think it necessitates Horns death.  That is a turning
point in the narrative for a number of reasons, not the least of which is
that it brings Horn directly to the attention of the neighbors (without, I
would posit, necessitating a transfer of 'souls' into Horn).

I grant it is possible, but I just don't see it yet.