(urth) Hut in the Jungle

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:05:56 PDT 2009

FWIW-

I see the Jungle Hut as a clear example of a time travel device as most specifically described for the Last House: a labyrinthine entranceway leading to a vertical structure. We see this pattern repeated in the towers around the Atrium of Time, Ultan's Library and probably in the Naviscaput's lair. Higher levels are in the future and lower levels are in the past (this helps explain Valeria and the Path of Air).

Thus, the earth that we see at the top of the ladder of the Jungle Hut is in Urth's future. This is supported by the textual and Wolfe interview clues which suggest Urth is the analog of Earth which exists in a previous universal iteration. And why Urth has Severian while Earth has Christ, etc.

And I think Isangoma is a Father Inire incarnation, like most of the twisted old monkey-like guys we find; Hephaestus analog that he is. Jungle Hut allows Inire access to some earth artifacts which make it to Urth like a picture of the moon landing, Frankenstein story, etc.