(urth) Blood Pudding (was Neighbors as Faeries)

Brian Lovely brian at studiobl.com
Sun Mar 22 06:43:24 PDT 2009

Y'know, I think I got the tree in the pit from all the other tree-references
throughout the books.  Also because the Inhumi seem to be associated with
parasitic vines-Incanto's staff is a vine that has a kind of face on the
top, and appears to unsettle people, as if it is more than just a stick of
wood.  I put this together with the "bristly hand" (not sure of the
description from the book) that Horn feels, and got a tree.  Isn't there
also a "maw" of some kind?  I remember getting an image of a typical
fairy-story anthropomorphic tree with some kind of hollow serving as a
mouth.  "Spider" and "man with a long nose" made me think of various
impressions a dying man might get from a mobile, anthropomorphic tree.

.plus, there's the ruined greenhouse-dome Horn and Seawrack find.  Has
intelligent life on Green evolved from plants?  Are the Neighbors
tree-people, and know that they must retain their vigor through
hybridization?  As primitive as the Inhumi are without benefit of human
blood-like leeches or fish-did they begin as parasitic vines?

Jordon Flato wrote:

You know, I just read this part, and I can't find any reference to a Tree

being in there with him, much less anything close to resembling a tree

eating his corpse.  A Neighbor comes in (he thinks it a spider or

something).  As a matter of fact, I just reread that, and there is not

mention or even hint of a tree(s) being in the pit with Horn, so I don't

know where this comes from.  Can you cite anything?

I do see the Neigbors associated with Trees on some level, but not as

projections.  The Neighbors as for permission to visit this world, and

indicate they have left this world to go to another.  How is that connected

to the Trees?  The trees obviously don't leave (no pun intended).  Are the

trees Spirit Antennae or something which allow the Neighbors to transmit

themselves back to Blue?

I don't see nearly as direct a connection between the trees and the

Neighbors as some seem to, although I will admit there is some possible

connection, no doubt.

But there is no tree in the pit.  Not from textual references anyway.

RE:  Hybridization.  YES!  This is the one thing which is making me

seriously consider that a neighbor did something siginficant in this respect

to Horn in the pit.  It fits thematically.