(urth) An Actual Wolfe Question

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:18:19 PDT 2009

> I've got a friend who's been on the fence about reading New Sun for a few
> years.
>No amount of talk from me will get him to start it.
>Can anyone point to an easily accessible review that seems to do a nice job
>of
>enticing someone to get into it?

I don't think that sort of thing can be forced. The guy who turned me on to
Wolfe started NS four times before gritting his teeth and pushing through
it. After I read it, I was convinced that Wolfe was not a very good
story-teller but a phenomenal creator of worlds. It was only after reading
"The Fifth Head of Cerberus" that I suddenly "got" Wolfe and decided he was
probably the best Sci-Fi writer period (that's exactly what I told people).
I recommend you offer your friend FHoC or Peace or Soldier of the Mist or
Strange Travellers or Endangered Species. Eventually, he'll find his way to
TBotNS on his own.