(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:03:24 PDT 2009

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:25:49 -0700
> From: kingwukong at yahoo.com
> To: urth at lists.urth.net
> Subject: Re: (urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe
>

> Doggerel
>
> www.don-doggett.blogspot.com

Well, beying an european, I'm going to abstain from commenting on the particulars of your constitution and on your (US) views of this matter. After all, the "Wild West" is too fresh on your mind and culture and it's probably normal that these matters raise certain "passions" among US citizens.

Although I don't remember the books by heart, I frankly don't see much (from what I remember) in Wolfe's books to say without a doubt that he is a "defender" of the view that every citizen has the right to have guns. The world of Short Sun is a savage one (inhumi, cities attacking other cities, enslavement, etc) and it's normal that people would be using weapons for personal protection, and hence the particular book excerpt you gave us. On the same token if I was writting a fiction book on the Roman conquest of, say, Gaul I could certainly say that it was good that my heroe's Celtic tribe had weapons to defend itself from the Romans and that would not imply that as a 21th century european I defend the free use of weapons by everyone.

Just my two cents.

Pedro