(urth) BSG Spoiler

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Mon Mar 16 15:29:22 PDT 2009

I think the BSG story arc was planned. we'll see.
this season is kinda hurting though.

in other tangental news, (seems to fit as well here as anywhere)
Watchmen was pretty fracking awesome.
The film kept the basic message and tone of the book, IMO.
For Listers who haven't read it, Watchmen is interesting as literature, because, like Wolfe, Moore is masterful at making his major theme resonate in the basic plot, in all the subtext, and in each character in microcosm.  An incredible look at how our attempts to use violence in the name of peace and justice disfigure our humanity.

I suppose I'm writing about it here because I couldn't help but think about New Sun during it.  As some may have noted, I'm working on illustrations for BotNS (my own motivation, not commissioned) so the notion of adaptation and illustration was on my mind. I kept thinking, during the obtuse scene on mars, how much this thing was an illustration, thinking how odd and cumbersome a work to put to screen, all the while thinking, why am I even trying to illustrate BotNS? what perverse desire is there to add illustrations to something already perfect? Also, I hope no one ever tries to make a New Sun movie in 2.75 hours. How strange and confusing it would be. Like Watchmen has all the trappings of Super Hero comic, New Sun has all the trappings of Sword and Sworcery novel, yet neither are truly examples of the forms they seem to take on, and are instead quite strange beasts. The marketing of both is misleading.

~witz