(urth) Auk's dimber tip to all flash coves

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Sun Jul 12 14:51:25 PDT 2009

My recollection is that "hoppy" was from the green uniforms of the
Vironese police (by analogy with frogs).

I forget where "limer" and "mews" are used but they are perfectly good
(if obscure) words. Limers are mentioned in books about the English
underclass (Kellow Chesney's "The Victorian Underworld" is a good one --
Neil Gaiman recommends it and it's fascinating), where the word refers
to people who catch birds using birdlime. "Hornboy" and "bucky" are not
even completely obsolete today, if I twig their meanings ("catamite" and
"buddy" respectively).

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha