(urth) Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Jan 7 15:44:17 PST 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> Gid knew from the start how Reis was able to breach government security.
> Reis "walks unseen", as the note to Cassie on the back of the photo showed.
> What I am suggesting is that Gid set Reis up. He recruited Cassie as bait,
> and Reis took the bait. When Reis acted to make Cassie his island queen, and
> since he had already pissed off the Squid God by killing off a thousand of
> the god's international recruits on the islands, he knew he had to act to
> insure his queen's safety. The island natives were too afraid of the Squid
> God to be of any help. So he hired Gid as a consultant, knowing Gid had the
> ear of the president and the backing of the U.S. government. Gid told Reis
> how to set the bait for the Squid God and got the president to send in the
> Navy. The island natives killed Reis to placate the Squid God. Problem
> solved. The presiden't commision was satisfied. Gid got his reward, the
> ambassadorship to Woldercan he said he wanted (222), where he could learn
> how to make gold, just as Reis had done.

Earlier in our discussion, I thought you agreed with me that Reis brought
his troubles on himself. It was certainly reckless to stash Cassie alone in
a place so near the center of the Storm King's power, and then to provoke a
naval battle with Chthulhu. Even if Chase advised this course of action it
was Reis who chose to do it. He ought to be smarter than that. Of course,
Cassie was also in danger back in Kingsport and the kidnappers might have
been after her when she went to Springfield. But couldn't Reis find
somewhere safer for her than the monster's backyard? I feel more comfortable
thinking that this part of the scheme was from Reis' meglomania rather than
from Chase. It's too dumb a plan for him to take from somebody else.

There may be other connections we aren't seeing yet. Reis said he didn't
control the winged Death's Visitors, but he wanted to. Gideon seemed to have
an alliance with them, and they promised Cassie their protection. Maybe the
consultation involved supernatural protection for Cassie by the Visitors.
They did the job, to a certain extent.