(urth) Chrasmologic

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 19:24:59 PST 2009

The Bible (along with The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories and a good dictionary) is all you'll ever really need to understand Wolfe:

  Oreb

Meaning: raven [from Hebrew "black"]
a prince of Midian
<http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/midian.html>, who, being
defeated by Gideon
<http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/gideon.html> and put to
straits, was slain along with Zeeb
<http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/zeeb.html> (Judg. 7:20-25
<http://www.christiananswers.net/bible/judg7.html#20>)
Many of the Midianites
<http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/midianite.html> perished
along with him (Ps. 83:9
<http://www.christiananswers.net/bible/psa83.html#9>; Isa. 10:26
<http://www.christiananswers.net/bible/isa10.html#26>).

But Silk's Oreb is also clearly the Odin-like familiar of a witch, god, or prophet. Shakespeare referenced ravens in this sense:

"But the most frequent reference made by Shakespeare to this bird has regard to its supposed boding power. It is called the “fatal raven” [/Titus Andronicus – II, 3/]. A messenger of ill news is said to “sing a raven’s note” [/2nd Henry VI – III, 2/]."

Choughs are native to the Old World and very different from ravens, however. See Wiki for a photo.

Message: 2