(urth) Inhuma continued

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jan 26 20:54:36 PST 2009

Craig Brewer wrote:
>  >>>What of the inhumas' ability to fly through the void?  Is this a lie
> or can they survive in space?
>
> I've always thought it was a lie. Fava dies in the snow when she and
> Horn do the astral travel bit. And when Jahlee is talking about learning
> to cross the void, she complains about how thin the air is...when, of
> course, there won't be any air, thin or thick, in the void. They're
> always complaining about the cold, but space would be just a touch
> colder than Blue, I'd imagine. And being reptilian and, I assume,
> cold-blooded...absolute zero would present some problems, no?

In near-planetary space without the protection of an atmosphere, the
side of a body toward the sun will be hotter than the daytime side of
the planet. It might be possible for a thick-skinned reptile to
withstand the vacuum, and to keep the shaded side of the body warm by
blood circulation. The shadow side wouldn't loose heat that much faster
than on a planetside night, and the lack of air would actually help
insulate.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >