(urth) Ansible Interview

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 22:06:49 PST 2009

The text in question is:
"Beyond the black streak of the shade, the skylands had been as bright
as Silk [...] had ever seen them[...].  Here were nameless mountains
filling inviolate valleys to the rim with their vast, black shadows."

Here's how it would have to happen.  Imagine a big bowl.  Imagine a
long sun extending to the east and west above it.  To fill that bowl
with shadow, you've got to tilt the whole thing so that it faces north
or south.  (Everything spills out of your bowl, but never mind that.)
Tilt it to the east or west and there's still long sunlight shining
into it from the further eastern or western segment of the long sun.
So tilt it to the north or south and you can get shadow.  If the bowl
is located north of "up" from Silk's perspective, and the bowl is
tilted to face north, then Silk can see the shadow in the bowl.
Likewise if the bowl is located south of "up" and the bowl is tilted
to face south.

The trouble comes with imagining this bowl as a valley with vegetation
and habitats and people living in it.  Problems with gravity and lack
of sunlight would prevent this, which is why these would truly be
"inviolate" valleys.