(urth) Ansible Interview

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 20:38:57 PST 2009

Tim:
>Who knows, maybe the shadows are caused by demons that sit on Silk's
>retinas with the Whorl equivalent of a GPS unit and make complicated hand
>shadows based on where he's standing and the direction he's looking.

Jeff
>Why don't you use a compass and a rule to draw this situation, and upload a
>scan of your drawing so we can literally see what you mean?

Mostly because I don't think it will matter. I've essentially re-stated
(former engineer) Wolfe's answer to this question half-a-dozen ways and the
only response I'm getting is that "it's impossible because
spin-gravitational forces wouldn't allow it" or "mountain shapes wouldn't
allow that" -- even though no one here knows what materials made the
mountains or engineering principles were employed to carve/build them or
what the shape was of the mountains and valley's in question. It's crazy. I
got into this thread with the misguided assumption that I was dealing with
people who were willing to be persuaded.

If you truly don't think its possible for a body to cast a shadow in a
carved out hollow shape with a centrally located light source then you are
not bothering to use your brain. It can. And, in The Book of the Long Sun,
Silk saw it happen. Deal with it.