(urth) Ansible Interview

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Sun Jan 25 11:42:21 PST 2009

> It
> would greatly increase the difficulty of the hollowing out process to make
> that a priority in the construction, and it would provide zero value-add.

There's no evidence that it would be any harder, and it would add a lot of
value: the landscape wouldn't turn to rubble when spin was applied.
Mountains made of rock can't exist at arbitrary angles to gravity.

Even if you were using some building material stronger than rock, you'd
probably still prefer an Earth-like rather than Dali-esque landscape (or
at least we'd be told if the latter were the case), and you wouldn't want
whole valleys that would never see daylight. (Anything that's ever in
shadow will always be in shadow.)

--
Tim Walters | http://doubtfulpalace.com