(urth) Ansible Interview

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jan 25 10:29:42 PST 2009

James Wynn wrote:

> Me:
>>> Well, the Whorl's topography *is* Dali-esque. And we know that it has
>>> mountains. That's how the Cargo is prevented from reaching the other
>>> portions of the ship.
>
> Jeff:
>> What holds the mountains up?
>
> [sigh] Look. There's mountains in the Whorl are just like any other
> mountains. But the axis of mountains are not perpendicular to the Long Sun.
>
> Imagine a mountain and a deep valley on a flat surface with a single
> light source directly overhead. No shadows. Now tip the base toward the
> valley. Suddenly the mountain does not point toward the light source
> anymore and the valley falls into shadow.
>
> This does not take a CAD program to imagine.

That would require tipping the base at a greater than complimentary
angle with the slope of the mountain, that is, a degree for every degree
short of a sheer, vertical cliff, and then more according to how much
shadow you want. Unless you begin with a cartoonishly steep mountain,
your valley floor ends up tilted as much as a conventional mountain
slope on earth, making it very unvalley-like. And you still have to
answer, what's holding this mountain up?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >