(urth) Long Sun Laughs

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Jan 21 07:16:31 PST 2009

I finished Long Sun the other day.
An excellent book. serious page turner for me, burned through it
really fast.
too fast, I'm sure, to catch all the hints, but the basic gist doesn't
seem that obscure.

the basic gnostic setup is easy enough to read.  the Five Steps
towards Briah article is very on-point, if you ask me.  It hadn't
dawned on me until reading that article that each book is a system to
be explored (and ultimately discarded). That of the inverted
matriarchy of Trivigaunte was easy enough to see. I loved all the
genre bending that this creates.

The comic relief is pretty damn funny. They're having these serious
discussions and Oreb and the Catachrest keep popping up to color the
talks.
Always worth a laugh, though I'm not sure I'd agree if it were a
movie.  The catachrest's speech was often impenetrable to me, as is
appropriate to it's name, I guess.

My biggest question throughout the whole book was the nature of
Quetzal. I find it interesting that the heads of this church are a
feathered serpent and an eel. I can't help but relate this to my
feelings (which I've expressed here before, and apologize in advance
to the faithful) that the Catholic Church has long been usurped by
vampires of sorts.  I'm sure I'm not alone in that feeling, and I find
it extremely provocative that a devout Catholic would set things up
that way. more testament to Wolfe's gutsiness.  I can't help but feel
that Quetzal was shepherding his flock to Green as food. talk about a
blood sacrifice.  I assume it was him who got Teasel early on.

I found the narrative device of Horn a bit implausible, but I suppose
it's more plausible than something like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein's
books within books.  Hey, Books within books is a theme of Wolfe's,
same as Masks within Masks I guess.  That conceit is so much more
interesting than the implausibility of a sideline party being able to
write an insider's account, so I'll swallow it.

Hopefully Short Sun will shed some light on all this.  Horn's detached
writing for the first long chapter is sort of maddening so far.
already a much different book than either New or Long.

~witz