(urth) Long Sun Laughs

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:04:27 PST 2009

Yes I have, but as Son of Witz is on this thread (and now rkenneth as
well) I didn't want to get into discussion of the next two books,
which are also excellent.

But yes, I did pick up on the Father Brown/Flambeau thing (I'm proud
to say that I have read every Father Brown mystery), but that wasn't
as glorious for me.  Wolfe is a metaphysical Catholic writer, so I
expect to find Chesterton in his work, just like I expect to find
Borges and Kafka for other reasons.

The stuff that blows my mind is the pulpy stuff that sneaks up on you.
 "Lake of the Long Sun ends when Silk and Dr. Crane are interrogated
by a super-strong android with the consciousness of a dead dictator in
it."  "The Shadow of the Tortuter ends with Severian travelling with a
cyborg, his resurrected grandmother, a variation on Frankenstein's
monster with his own android physician who's sort of a Doctor
Frankenstein/Igor character, and a scientifically created sex
goddess."  There's a glorious one in Short Sun too that I don't want
to spoil.