(urth) AEG: Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Jan 6 04:39:39 PST 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Reis didn't hire Gid, at great cost, to chauffeur Cassie to the islands.
> Anyone could have done that. Besides, Gid said that he had been hired as a
> temporary "consultant". (197) Gid had a reputation for getting things done
> that others couldn't do. What did Reis really want from him?

One advantage of hiring Gid was that it divided his loyalties. He
couldn't deliver Reis to the FBI while taking his money (202). But there
must be something big going on in the background, too. Reis had a strong
motivation for joining Cassie on the island, but he let her stay there
alone for a long time. Since he hopped from Europe to see her early on,
it's hard to see what could be keeping him away. He could at least spend
some nights. I suspect it was something off-planet, maybe even in Woldercan.

When Cassie called Chase he said it would be difficult to get to her (p.
228). Was he also off-planet? Maybe, since there's something strange
about the phone service on the Takanga Islands (the time-shift we
noticed for the call to Sharon). Perhaps calls are routed through
Woldercan, and that's how Cassie was able to get the call through to him.