(urth) Meta-fictions

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 21:22:04 PST 2009

I don't have a good answer for you.  I don't think the "Gene Wolfe" persona
plays a very large role in TBotNS.  I think that, as you say, he just gave
up the pretense.  Probably because another persónal layer -- a translator --
would have distracted from the issues of identity he was raising with
Horn/Silk, which have become more central in TBotSS than was the case with
Severian/Thecla in TBotNS.  Wolfe does insert himself into the text of
"Horn's Book" as "a man in Urbasecundus" (i.e., Second City -- Chicago) "who
was said to have produced a similar book" (OBW 51).