(urth) Sapphire Star

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Jan 1 10:29:09 PST 2009

Son of Witz wrote:
> yeah. if we're gonna imagine it's origin, we might as well guess
> someone used the corridors to plant it back long  enough for the
> crystal to grow around it, then show up to harvest it. :D

Corundum crystals are formed in nature under extreme heat and pressure,
probably sufficient to burn up the thorn inside. I think the original
idea of an artificial sapphire which was created around the original
relic to honor it is the best so far.

Speaking of sapphires with religious significance, what about the
sapphire of St. Edward the Confessor
(http://jewelry-blog.internetstones.com/famous-gemstones/st-edwards-sapphire),
now part of the Imperial State Crown of Great Britain? There's a legend
about the pious king giving it to a beggar and having it show up again
in the holy land.