(urth) Cumaeans

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 13:26:29 PST 2009

Tim

My assumption---or rationalization---has always been that the Cumaean was an alien of a different sort than the Inhumi. Or else just a being of power---she is named after a witch out of the New Testament, after all. The faces and lack of wings or any serious attempt to disguise herself lead me to that.

Beyond that, I dunno. It's possible Wolfe hadn't worked out the details yet. Who would the thing feed on?

I also have always assumed that the great toothy butterfly-creature Severian sees flying through the pages of Father Inire's mirror book was an Inhumu. Is there any consensus on that? Was it Tzadkiel?

Message: 7