(urth) Wolfean theologies and the Long Sun

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 13:08:56 PST 2009

Thanks for the links, Stanislaus.

That was in fact the distinction that I assumed in reading the books---that there is the Increate, and then there is everything else. None of those other terms are used, of course---merely hinted at, so some posters here have had to use them. Nothing even tells us what entity possessed Severian. One assumes the Increate, but Witz has proposed the New Sun itself.

I don't follow that this rule alone keeps Severian from being "a Christ," since that depends on the degree to which Severian is divine and for that matter whether the OTC is divine. If neither is divine, then there is no forced inequivalence on these grounds alone. If both are---well, that was the reason for my original question.

I'll let someone else ask how filioque fits into this scheme. ;)

BTW, did you derive the Long Sunshade mechanism yourself, or from reading someone else? I only read LS once, but the Pylon made so little sense to me I just blotted it out.

Your explanation is perfect in every way---it explains how shadeup could seem fast or slow, and how light moves from east to west along the Long Sun.

Is the Long Sun itself then an uncontained energy beam or flame rather than a large fluorescent tube? What material does the Shade consist of?

How big an asteroid would this require? Any candidates?

Message: 7