(urth) Ship Volant

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 13:02:41 PST 2009

That's a knotty question. Jordan expresses exactly my original
assumption---but I always imagined an iconic rocket ship pitched or
angled upward even though that doesn't fit with what Severian knows.
Been reading science fiction for too long.

However, Jeff is right---volant means "Depicted with the wings extended
as in flying."

So ... it would have to resemble an oceangoing ship---with hull and
deck, masts and sails---but perhaps with sails that extend outward as
much as upward, winglike. It could be pitched as well. It could also be
seen from above or below, which might be more difficult perspectives
from which to identify such a ship.

See this example:

http://shop.cafepress.com/item/heraldry-eagle-volant-large-poster/56534642?cmp=pfc--f--us--054--56534642&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_term=56534642&utm_campaign=large-poster

but also:

http://www.rafcollection.com/ecart/control/faq;jsessionid=0C254B62E950890745335ACFBF543EBB

Also, there's no doubt that Severian always had plenty of warning before
he used Terminus Est. It was the tool of his trade, after all, and
usually he only used it after having been paid for a job. So while he
would have wanted his limbs free to suddenly leap aside or block a
treacherous swing or blow, he would mostly have simply wanted the sword
out of the way, not accessible.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:44:27 +0000
> From: "Son of Witz" <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>
> Subject: (urth) Ship Volant
> To: urth at urth.net
>
> more illustration related questions:
>
> """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
> Shadow 2:
> For my part, I had already adopted as my own the device graved in bronze above
> the door of a certain mausoleum. They were a fountain rising above waters, and a
> ship volant
> """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
> Shadow 3:
> At last I turned my treasure over, and then indeed I caught my breath; stamped on the reverse was just such a flying ship as I had seen in the arms above the door of my secret mausoleum.
> """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>
> This is another situation where I'm conflicted as to how one would represent the Ship Volant.
>
> What makes a ship look like it's flying?
> Does the flying ship have masts?
>
> We've seen masts on Tzadkiel's ship, thousands, which I assume would look like a cubist nightmare clipper, then the masted shuttle that takes Sev and Bergundofora down to Urth, but other than that, the fliers seem to be mastless, and very sleek. I picture them more or less like speedboats. sleek. no masts.
>
> A flying ship for Severian would seem Tzadkiels. I assume it's the same for the Autarch (Appian) who also went to Yessod, presumably on the same ship.
>
> Ok, so the Ship Volant would look like Tzadkiel's ship, but who, without having seen such a ship, would even think to call it a ship?  But then if I pictured a mastless ship, it would just look like a boat, not a ship?
>
> I know, these are silly concerns, and not crucial to understanding the books, but these details get tricky when trying to draw it out.
>

> one more:
> "A fountain rising above waters"
> I've always pictured this as a spray of water. a plume.
> does anyone picture it as a sort of literal, garden fountain. sculptural, I mean?
>

> any comments appreciated.
> ~witz

> Jeff

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090216-1, 02/16/2009
Tested on: 2/17/2009 4:02:42 PM