(urth) Ship Volant

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Feb 17 11:37:58 PST 2009

yeah, we had discussed this over curry.
You're right about Severian not having been on Tzadkiel's ship as of that writing.  Using the rising angle is not a bad idea at all, that's how some birds are depicted in Heraldry sites that mention Volant or "rising"

Jordon, did the idea of the ship looking like a rose come from my crappy sketch of it, which did have a rose quality, or did you picture that before?

Isn't there some point where Severian is horrified looking at some painting or depiction of a ship?  what was that?

Re: Ad-Astra,

Interesting points about wings.  Those ships look very Battlestar Galactica to me, probably technically "realistic". I think why I'm attracted to illustrating this novel is that it "looks" nothing like Space Sci Fi. Even Tzadkiel's ship has wood and sails and rigging. While the ship is a solar sailer, it doesn't seem to look like our modern renderings, somehow it looks like a 7 sided hull with masts coming off from EVERY angle. I think he literally meant a sort of mylar fabric, sheetlike sail with rigging, and not, say, hard solar panels such.

thanks,
~witz