(urth) Quasi Christ?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Feb 10 13:45:58 PST 2009

Well, that clears that up nicely!

We don't need evidence of multiple resurrections, and we don't have any. They would only make the whole Christ scheme feel more mechanical anyway, when it is the Hieros' schemes that Wolfe wants to have a mechanical feel.

The Mystery quote is also relevant to the other discussion. I always assumed that the Torturers had a mystery simply because ALL guilds had mysteries---most of them fairly mundane, basically secret handshake-type stuff. But here it is explicitly related to the earthly authority of the Church.

This also supports the idea of the Commonwealth as representing humanity as a whole even though it controls only a fraction of its territory. And Severian becomes more like the Pope than Christ, especially considering Roy's quote about the Conciliator's conciliation as a mundane and semipolitical one, as opposed to one with the Increate.

Message: 6