(urth) Cumaeans

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 5 14:16:53 PST 2009

aha! Thanks. I never could figure out what that witch had to do with anything.

Of course, what do we know of Father Inire?

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:42:37 -0800
From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Cumaeans

David,

No; the Cumaean is _not_ named for a witch out of the New Testament. Rather,
she is named for the priestess-prophetess of Apollo at Cumae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumaean_Sybil

As such, she might well be a "being of power." I had concluded (assumed?)
that she was of the same order of being as Father Inire.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:

> > Tim
> >
> > My assumption---or rationalization---has always been that the Cumaean was an
> > alien of a different sort than the Inhumi. Or else just a being of
> > power---she is named after a witch out of the New Testament, after all. The
> > faces and lack of wings or any serious attempt to disguise herself lead me
> > to that.
> > Beyond that, I dunno. It's possible Wolfe hadn't worked out the details yet.
> > Who would the thing feed on?
> >
> > I also have always assumed that the great toothy butterfly-creature Severian
> > sees flying through the pages of Father Inire's mirror book was an Inhumu.
> > Is there any consensus on that? Was it Tzadkiel?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090205-1, 02/05/2009
Tested on: 2/5/2009 5:16:54 PM