(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 18:28:50 PST 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Jeffrey Brent McBeth <mcbeth at broggs.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Disclaimer, I am a Mormon.  I also am skipping the context of the
> > above paragraph, as it isn't relevant to the information below.
>
> Jeffrey: Equal disclaimer - I hold no grudge against Mormons in general
> or the CoJCoLDS. I picked Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses as two
> examples of Protestant groups whom "mainline" Protestants often think
> have "gone too far" and are "not really Christians." My point is that the
> basis of Protestantism is logically inconsistent with making those
> judgements.
>  <http://www.urth.net>

I don't think that's quite fair to Protestantism.  There are still plenty of
Protestants whose creedal orthodoxy is as sound as any Catholic's.  Most of
them aren't mainline Protestants, though, but members of traditionalist
groups that have split from the main line : the Lutheran Church-Missouri
Synod vs. the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Presbyterian
Church in America vs. Presbyterian Church (USA), the various Anglican
continuing churches vs The Episcopal Church (at least semi-Protestant), etc.

I agree that Reformed Christianity is problematic, but that's chiefly due to
the innovative nature of its theory of authority (and its rejection of, or
indifference to, traditional Christian polity and ecclesiology--which
springs from the same defective theory of authority).

--
Matt +

I came, I saw, I conquered.
Julius Caesar (100-44 B.C.), From SUETONIUS, Lives of the Caesars, Julius,
sec. 37