(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 17:15:45 PST 2009

John,

I absolutely agree with pts 1&2.  On pt 2, I'll go farther and posit that
Judaism was *recreated* to a large extent in the 2nd century to enable it to
go on after the destruction of the Temple (I didn't just think this up. An
Orthodox Jew asserted this much to me about 10 years ago). This Neo-Judaism
(as you imply) was formed to a great extent as a counter-Christianity and so
the Septuagint was scrapped (being the Bible Christians used) where as
before it was accepted as a divinely inspired translation (yet, the Orthodox
Jews I've talked to still accept the "70 translators" story as factual). So,
following the Hebrew Bible as the rule was essentially giving the day to
Christianity's enemies without getting anything in return.

But that leads to my main point: The Reformers (or Deformers if one wants to
insist) did not dispense with the deuterocanon just because they didn't
"like" them. They had no reason at all to dispense with them other than that
they were convinced that the books were self-evidently not authored at the
time or by the people they claimed. It was an act of Rationalism to drop
them, and the Reformation was a child of a more Rational age. IIRC Luther
suspected Revelation should have been dropped as well.

Finally, just because a writer (even a divinely inspired one as the
Reformers saw it) quotes from a text, does not make that text itself
divinely inspired. The Book of Enoch was also quoted by Jude and by various
Church Fathers thru the end of the 2nd century. This, even though it was
deliberately excluded from the Septuagint. Then, at some time in the 3rd
century they stopped quoting from it and it was soon "lost". I suspect this
occurred when Christian scholars ceased to consider it trustworthy as
Scripture.

Luther was a man of many faults, looking back at him 400 years later. Dan'l
accused me of being binary, but Luther tended to see all things binarily. In
his view, the rebels in the Peasant's War were violating the Bible's command
to be subject to one's rulers and so he bestowed a blessing on those who cut
them down (Irony? Maybe. But see the end of this paragraph). When Zwingli
died in battle defending Zurich, Luther's attitude was "Serves him right"
for carrying a sword as a priest. But to call him an oath-breaker, I think,
is out-luthering Luther. It seems to me, he had come to believe that those
who demanded the oath celibacy from him were frauds (the church leaders in
Rome who --often as not-- never followed the oath themselves and were in
many cases cynical skeptics toward Christianity as a whole) and that that
oath was part of their fraud. Maybe he was wrong, but he saw what he saw and
drew his conclusions, and I don't think there is enough counter-evidence to
condemn him as an oath-breaker.

J.