(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 05:42:28 PST 2009

James,

Your comment is all very well and good for the deuterocanon as far as it
goes, but I think intellectual honesty requires a few additional
acknowledgements.

1)  Most of the early Christians the Protestant Reformation identified
itself with freely quoted from the so-called deuterocanon, implying that
they accepted its veracity.  St. Paul even quotes from Maccabees in Hebrews,
and obviously Jerome acknowledged the deuterocanon as canonical.

2)  The Jewish acceptance or non-acceptance of the contents of the
deuterocanon is a wee bit more complex of a story than you're admitting.
 It's not as though the deuterocanon was intentionally plucked off the
Hebrew scrap heap by the Catholic Church--the majority of it was included in
the Septuagint, which served as the de facto Hebrew canon in the first
century.  The modern Hebrew canon didn't emerge for some time after that,
and arguably the rise of Christianity, which did use the Septuagint,
influenced the Hebrew decision to break away from it.

I agree with your larger point about the Reformation spurring the
Counter-Reformation, and don't really want to attempt to heal any
six-hundred-year-old wounds on this list.  Obviously your observation about
Augustine and his philosophy and theology establishes that there ought to be
enough common ground to have a nice, productive dialogue bringing Catholic,
Orthodox and Protestant views to bear on any given issue without engaging in
insults.