(urth) Weekly blog links

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:15:06 PDT 2009

The obvious one, to me, is that the series is a trilogy set on three
different worlds.  The first is set on an old world and deals with a human
being coming into contact with that world's native race, which is tall and
slender in appearance and which is "better and wiser" than humanity.  He
discovers that the religion of this alien species is a cognate, at least in
some aspects, with his own.  The second book deals, in part, with that human
being's subsequent adventures on a jungle world in which he is wound unto
death and miraculously restored (albeit Lewis retconned the severity of
Ransom's wound a little.)  The third is set, in part, on the narrator's home
world.

I would also hazard that Ransom's shift in personality from the Tolkienesque
hero of Perelandra to the Williamsesque Christian/Arthurian figure of That
Hideous Strength may have intrigued Wolfe--a flaw in Lewis's books, Wolfe
makes the shifting nature of his narrator the strength and core theme of his
own.