(urth) Hut/Ultan's Library/Catherine

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Apr 6 14:27:46 PDT 2009

Whether Wolfe ever met Borges or not, I'm sure it was a great desire of his to do so. And who wouldn't want to overhear THAT conversation?

Even so, it strikes me more as a homage than anything else: the young book-loving apprentice meeting the grand master lurking like the Minotaur in his labyrinth. Recall Ultan gives Severian the "Book of the Wonders of Urth and Sky." Ultan is like a sorcerer or a god of the underworld.

But I have no doubt there are many Borges-inspired games in BotNS.

Message: 3