(urth) An Evil Guest - Big Questions, Major SPOILERS

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 15:40:08 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:23 PM, John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Spoilers--I also finished this morning.
>
> -
>
> I can't answer all of that, but "Arthur Thomas Franklin" is a
> government agency--presumably slang for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
> and Firearms--the ATF (now officially Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
> Explosives, but still ATF).
>
> A "defective" child is probably just a child born with a genetic
> defect or other inborn condition.  I took it as a reference to the
> current practice of aborting Down Syndrome fetuses rather than a hint
> as to an elaborate regime of genetic engineering.

Re: ATF: I should have remembered about the ATF.

Re: defective: I considered that, but "defective" has the ring of
manufacture about it; as in "I returned the defective TV to the store." And
these aren't kids being aborted from the womb: this is "post-parturition"
(i.e. after-birth) abortion. Are we supposed to assume that there are people
who would a) give birth to a child with Down Syndrome and then b) abort it
after living with said child for a few years. I don't think anyone good
enough to do a) would be cold-hearted enough to do b).

-Matt