(urth) New Wolfe Listing on Amazon

Fred Kiesche recursive_loop at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 05:16:58 PDT 2008

Greetings:

"A better translation of "hoplite" would simply be "heavily armored
infantryman" instead of the term used in Wolfe (shieldman) which is a
wrong interpretation of the ancient greek meaning of the word."

Don't know where I got it from, maybe from playing wargames sent in ancient Greece, but that is always how I used it (heavily armored infantryman) since the mid-1970's. When did "academia" start to drop the term?

F.P. Kiesche III  "Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble, scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at TexasBestGrok!